Tax Collections

Tax bills are mailed after November 1.  The first half is due by December 20.  If the first half is not paid by that date, it begins to accrue interest.  If the first half is paid by December 20, the second half will be due by May 10 of the following year. 

Real Estate Taxes
After December 20 and until May 10, the first half payment plus interest can be paid.  If not paid by May 10, the full tax plus interest must be paid.  There is no longer the option of paying the first half.  If taxes are due and unpaid for three years, the property is subject to a tax foreclosure sale by the County and the property can be sold at public auction.  Anyone that has delinquent real estate taxes in the county cannot bid at these auctions.

Personal Property Taxes
After December 20, the full amounts of personal property taxes are due, plus interest.  Full unpaid personal property taxes are sent to the Sheriff for collection in March.  If the first half taxes are paid in December, the second half is due May 10.  Second half unpaid personal property taxes are then sent to the Sheriff for collection. 

Delinquent Taxes

Delinquent real estate taxes not paid within three years are subject to a tax foreclosure sale.  The tax sale process is very lengthy and may take up to a year or longer.  Contact County Treasurer for latest tax sale information.  If date has been set, this information will be posted on county website.

Publication of Delinquent Real Estate Taxes:
Prior to current year delinquent taxes being put in the delinquent records of the Cherokee County Treasurer, they are published in the official county newspaper (as designated by the Board of County Commissioners) for three consecutive weeks in August in accordance with the provisions of K.S.A. 79-2301 to 79-2323a.

Publication of Delinquent Personal Property Taxes:
Personal Property taxes that are unpaid October 1 of the current tax year are published in compliance with K.S.A. 19-547 for three consecutive weeks in October in the official county newspaper (as designated by the Board of County Commissioners).


If you have an escrow account for your real estate taxes with a mortgage company, the mortgage company should receive the tax statement with amounts listed on the stubs. The homeowner will receive a copy of the statement. We also ask that your mortgage company contact our office to notify us of the correct billing information for the real estate parcel.

Past due notices are sent to the homeowner, not to the escrow agent. If the mortgage company was to have paid these taxes, you must inform them that the County Treasurer's office did not receive the payment. If there are any questions, the mortgage company needs to call the County Treasurer's office at 620-429-3848.

Filing a property tax protest

Review the following for information about filing a protest related to your property tax assessment.  For forms and additional information on your assessment, visit the Kansas court of tax appeals website. 

  • If you have not had a meeting with the County Appraiser on the valuation of your property for the same tax year, you can file a protest. Protest forms are available from the County Treasurer or online here.
  • Please read and follow the instructions on the form carefully for a successful appeal. Note: If the protest form is received in the Treasurer's office unsigned the protest will be considered invalid and will be returned to you. The delay may jeopardize your chances for a hearing.
  • Tax protest forms must be completed and submitted at time of payment to the Treasurer's office on or before December 20. If the taxes are paid by an escrow agent you have until January 31 of the following year to file your protest.
  • You must keep a copy of the protest form. You will need to use this form to file the protest with the Board of Tax Appeals if you are not satisfied with the County's decision.
  • The County Appraiser will contact you to schedule an informal meeting after the County Treasurer forwards your protest form to the Appraiser. If you are filing a protest on the basis of an illegal tax levy, an Appendix must be completed and attached to the protest form.  No informal hearing will be held with the Appraiser in the case of illegal tax levies.
  • If you are successful in your appeal you will receive a refund, if the taxes were paid in full.  Otherwise, an adjustment will be made on the 2nd half of the taxes.  The County Treasurer will process your change and notify you of such after the changes have been received from the County Appraiser’s and County Clerk’s offices.